Electricity, when used properly, is a safe and convenient form of energy that’s vital to our everyday lives. When used improperly, however, electricity can cause fires, shocks, injuries, and even death.
Make a selection to learn more
Grounding power equipment
Make sure to properly ground your electrical equipment and keep all electrical cords away from heat and water.
When pulling out cords to disconnect them, pull on the plug, not on the cord. Don’t twist, kink, or crush cords. Regularly check the insulation around a power cord to make sure it’s in good working condition. If you see any exposed wire or frayed ends, replace the cords immediately. Do not tape or splice cords. Also check the plug to ensure the prongs are secure and none are missing.
Electricity and water
Never use a hair dryer, radio, curling iron, or any other small appliance near water. Anything electric in the water is extremely dangerous and could be fatal.
Make sure you have a chemical fire extinguisher handy at all times and that you know how to operate it in case of emergency. Remember the PASS method – pull the key, aim the hose at the fire, squeeze the handle, and sweep the material in a back and forth motion over the fire. Never throw water on an electrical fire.
In the case of electric shock, do not touch the victim until the electricity is turned off. If the victim is in contact with the electric power lines, the only safe procedure is to call the power company and to get medical assistance.